The Seagulls - Established 1881

FIRST-TEAM 2 - 3 Mossley

Away | 06 October 2018 | Attendance: 370
THE SEAGULLS twice found themselves two goals behind  in the first half, but after a dominant second period were really disappointed not to have come home with a point in their 3-2 defeat at Mossley.
 Indeed goalkeeper Paddy Rutter was almost the last minute hero with a last gasp equaliser when he came up for a Bay corner and saw a flying header  cleared off the line.
  Unfortunately an awful start, in which the Bay were two down inside the opening 13 minutes, left them with a mountain to climb from very early on.
   They were twice undone by strong runs down the right and crosses which set up  Keenan Quansah and Mason Duffy for those early goals.
    The Seagulls immediately changed things by bringing on Neil Coverley in centre defence and switching Josh Brizell to the left to help deal with the threat coming down that flank, and that worked - Coverley bravely playing his second game in  five days, despite suffering a family bereavement 24 hours earlier.
   James Barrigan got a goal back on 18 minutes with his sixth of the season after the Mossley keeper could only push out a Josh Brizell free kick, and Bay looked very unlucky not to equalise when Barrigan found the net with a really good finish only to be flagged offside in what looked a very tight decision.
  The Bay were very much back in the game at that point, but right on half-time they conceded a soft third goal from corner.
 Paddy  Rutter made a flying one-handed save to turn an Aaron Dwyer shot round the post, but from the flag kick Dwyer scored with a header at the far post.
   That could have crushed some teams, but Colwyn Bay again showed great character and spirit to come out and dominate much of the second half.
   Josh Brizell scored from the penalty spot to make it 3-2 after Lassana Mendes had been brought down in the area, and Mossley were hanging on at the end.
   Tom McCready's run and pass set up a great chance for James Barrigan to equalise, but from inside the area and with just the keeper to beat he disappointingly shot high and wide.
   Mossley then gratefully blocked Rutter's last minute header on the line to cling on to the three points.
    Afterwards manager Craig Hogg blamed himself for the poor start which, in the end, was pivotal in the result.
 "I take responsibility for that loss and the players should take no blame at all," he said.
 "I set the team up in a certain way, but it was clear in those opening 15 minutes it hadn't worked.
 "I'm disappointed with the result, but not with the performance in the slightest. The players gave absolutely everything again for the shirt and we could have taken something from the game.
 "Some of our play second half was exceptional and it is probably the quietest I've been in the dug out since I took the job because the players go on with the job and did everything I asked of them.
 "I feel there is a tidal change on the horizon and that we aren't far away from turning the corner. It IS coming and we just have to stick together and believe in what we are doing."
  Colwyn Bay: Paddy Rutter, Tom McCready (c), Jamie Ellison, Josh Brizell, Will Bell, Luke Horrocks (Ethan Devine 87mins), Craig Pritchard, Lassana Mendes, James Barrigan, Danny Andrews (Blake Robinson 80mins), Lewis Moynes (Neil Coverley 19mins). 
Attendance: 370